Jared Williams and Rob Mikkelsen started doing this years ago with their students and have put together a great presentation on it.
A few of his observations I found interesting:
- Use of technology in this way is more engaging to students.
- Students are so excited they end up sharing results on their own Facebook accounts.
- He covers the basic build process in a way that can easily be done inside a classroom.
- My current implementation has been buried outside. This provides different opportunities, but comes with a number of additional obstacles / difficulties.
- Experimenting with the affects of fertilizer on root/plant growth
- This is awesome. Being able to watch the difference both above and below ground.
Also, unrelated to above but amazing to watch: